Friday, October 12, 2012

NFL Week 6 picks

Each week gets better and better for me anyway. After a 5-1 week I extended my lead over Loren to 6 games. I have a 20-10 record Loren is struggeling at 14-16.

Indianapolis at New York Jets
Loren - Indianapolis. No, this is not me jumping on the Indy bandwagon. This is me noting how putrid the Jets look, and that Indy has beaten both Minnesota and Green Bay this year. Indy is going to be a middle of the road team that plays a little better than expected. The Jets are going to be a middle of road team that plays quite a bit worse than expected. Indy in a minor upset.
Derek – New York Jets. I might be giving Loren a game here but I think this is one of those strange games where the Jets will find a copel fo explosion plays, not that I have any idea who will make those. The Colts be a good team last week but that was at home after a bye. Look for them to struggle more on the road.


Detroit at Philadelphia
Loren - Philadelphia. This is a matchup of last place in the NFC North vs first place in the NFC East. I'm steering clear of Detroit until they can show me some offensive consistency. Odds are with the home team, but this one isn't a lock. Despite leading their division, the Eagles have surrendered 19 more points than they've scored. That will catch up to you eventually.
Derek – Philadelphia. The Lions are the epitome of inconsistent right now. It’s crazy how up and down they are, especially Stafford. I’ll go with a slightly less disjointed team in the Eagles. At least they have the home field atvantage.


Dallas at Baltimore
Loren - Baltimore. Would you take Romo against the Ravens D at home? Me neither.
Derek – Baltimore. Could be a game where the Cowboys jump up and surprise you but I’ll hedge my bets with a top 5 team at home.


NY Giants at San Francisco
Loren - San Francisco. Wow, what a matchup. I like the 49ers at home. The Giants haven't exactly played their best against the toughest competition they've faced, and the 49ers are on a different level from Dallas and Philly. Throw in the long distance travel and you have a recipe for a Giant let down (see what I did there?). The Giants seem to play best with their backs to the wall, though, so I'll be tuning in to see how this goes down.
Derek – San Francisco. Obviously the Giants can win this game, see last years NFC Championship game. But I have a feeling that the G-men haven’t found their groove just yet. They’ll hang around but the 49ers will wear them out and strike with two big plays in the second half.


Green Bay at Houston
Loren - Houston. It seemed for the last couple of years that the Texans desperately wanted to be the Packers. How quickly things change. The Packers would give Rodgers left arm for either of Houston's running backs, and they might sell one of his legs for a decent DL. Green Bay is still dangerous week in week out, but don't listen to the apologists who say the Packers should be 3-2. They could just have easily lost that squeaker against New Orleans and the Seattle game and have just one win on the season. Houston is playing great football all around and it's hard to be against an undefeated team.
Derek – Houston. Just so we all know. I’m picking the Texans in every game this year until they prove me wrong.


Denver at San Diego
Loren - Denver. This one's for the division lead. I don't see Denver dropping this one, considering how close they played Atlanta, Houston, and New England. The Chargers are not close to being as good as those teams. Denver, though, has to stop tiptoeing into games and start scoring early points. Waiting until the second half to come alive is not going to get you to the playoffs.
Derek - San Diego. Denver’s had a tough schedule but just because they’re not playing a top team doesn’t mean they can go on the road in their division and just show up to win. They need to show me something in order for me to pick them. I’ll take the Chargers in a tough one.

No comments: