Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Pac 10 vs. SEC

The Pac 10 versus the SEC is an ongoing debate, at least on the West coast. I’m pretty sure that it does not get much attention on the East side of the Country. I’m not going to get into the “Who’s better than who” conversation I just wanted to take a look at who schedules tougher competition. ESPN says Georgia has the toughest schedule in college football, so one point for the SEC but then ESPN says the second, third and fourth toughest schedules go to Washington, UCLA and Oregon State. Alabama does get a nod at #9. So I thought lets take a look at how the teams in each conference scheduled their first game. Please note I took at all the teams that played conference games because this would sway the numbers. Oregon vs. Washington and Stanford vs. Oregon State.

Pac 10
Arizona State/Northern Arizona II
Arizona/Idaho I
California/Michigan State BCS
UCLA/ Tennessee BCS
USC/ Virginia BCS
Washington State/Oklahoma St. BCS

BCS 66%
I 83%
II 17%


SEC
Florida/ Hawaii I
Georgia/Georgia Southern II
Kentucky/Louisville BCS
Vanderbilt/ Miami (Ohio) I
South Carolina/ North Carolina State BCS
Tennessee/ UCLA BCS
Auburn/ Louisiana Monroe I
Arkansas/ Western Illinois II
LSU/ Appalachian State II
Mississippi/ Memphis I
Alabama/ Clemson BCS
Mississippi St./ Louisiana Tech I

BCS 33%
I 75%
II 25%

2 comments:

Joseph Sandiego said...

Derek, you'll have to explain those percentages to a guy who's mostly about baseball.

Also, you mention unranked Oregon State having a tougher schedule this season. On the flip side, for how many teams is Oregon State contributing to an opponent's unfairly weak schedule?

Derek said...

Hey Joe, there are 119 teams that play division I college football. These are supposedly the best College football teams. There are 11 conferences (Pac-10, SEC, Big 10...) that make up 116 teams, plus 3 Independent teams (Notre Dame, Army, and Navy). Six of these conferences make up BCS teams. Generally these 6 conferences are regarded as having the best teams.

BCS %: The percentage of teams from that league who had opponents from a BCS conference (should be tough)

I %: The percentage of teams from that league who had opponents from a Division I school. This includes the BCS teams.

II %: The percentage of teams from that league who had opponents from a Division II school. These teams have no business playing with Div I schools. IE Portland State.

Yes the Oregon States and Stanford’s of the worlds would bring down the schedule rankings of their opponents but they are Div I teams from a BCS conference so they should at least be a respectable opponent.

Hope that helps.