Sunday, September 12, 2010

NFL Pick 'Em - Week 1

Happy freakin' NFL season at last, eh sports fans?

As usual, Derek and I will be making our standard six-pack of picks throughout the season with the loser forced to perform a safe but humiliating stunt. Which reminds me, I still haven't given Derek the "John Elway is the greatest QB ever" placard for his car.


On to the picks:


Atlanta @ Pittsburgh


Loren - Atlanta

I think the Falcons will be a strong playoff team this year behind a rebounding Matt Ryan, a healthy Michael Turner, and a breakout year from Roddy White. They just need the defense to perform adequately and that shouldn't be a problem against the Steelers' shuffled offense.


Derek - Pittsburgh.

Sure I'll take the inexperienced QB. Why? Because he has a very experienced team around him. I'm not sold on the Falcons including Matt Ryan. Turner is a great back but he is worked over every game.

Cincinnati @ New England

Loren - New England

This is the pick I'm second guessing myself on. The Pats defense has looked a little ragged and old, not what you want to bet on against an offense like the Bengals. Of course, the Bengals have to prove that offense can really perform and I give the edge to the Pats at home until the Bengals prove it.


Derek - Cincinnati.

I'm taking a risk here but I think the O brothers in Cincinnati will do enough to outscore the Pats.


Dallas @ Washington


Loren - Washington

I said it on the show and I'll say it again: I think these Redskins are gonna surprise some people. Solid coach, healthy Clinton Portis, improved (if controversial) defense. Plus, the Cowboys have looked miserable in the preseason and I don't trust Wade Phillips further than I could throw that chunky egg layer.


Derek - Dallas

You don't need to trust Wade Phillips. But you can trust the more talented experienced team. The Redskins will be better this year than last, but it's not hard to improve from where they were. The 'Boys outscore the Redskins easily.


Baltimore @ NY Jets


Loren - Baltimore

Yes, I did pick the Jets to make the post-season. I may have even (gulp) picked them to win their division. However, I also picked the Ravens to make the post-season and I like them to come out with a strong dose of Ray Rice and control the ball, letting Flacco settle in.


Derek - Baltimore.

I've said it the last two shows, I don't think the Jets are going to be that good. Heck I don't think they have the best D in this game and while Flacco is not a flashy QB he is a solid QB and a lot better than Sanchez.


Arizona @ St Louis


Loren - Arizona.

Though Bradford seems to be doing his best to prove his doubters wrong, and Derek Anderson probably isn't a starting QB on a playoff team, I'm taking the Cards for one reason: Larry Fitzgerald.


Derek - Arizona.

Why are we picking this game? You'll have to ask Loren, I was thinking Green Bay v. Philly but whatever. Arizona a decent team versus St. Louis, possibly the worst team in the league. It's that easy.


Indianapolis at Houston


Loren - Indianapolis

Hey, until these guys stop winning 12 or more games a year, you take 'em every time. The odds are with you. :)

Derek - Indianapolis.

I'm sticking with the Colts (Manning) until someone knocks them off the top of the division. Houston is a solid squad but the Colts are a Superbowl contender.

No comments: