Friday, January 6, 2012

NFL Playoff week 1 picks

Well Loren and I did not post our picks last week but I took 4 out of the 5 we choose. increasing my lead to 8 games with 11 to play.

Pittsburgh @ Denver

Derek - Pittsburgh. It's not as bleak as Loren makes it sound but he is right in that, Denver's success is part that the opponents are unprepared. I don't the the Steelers will be, I'd be surprised if Denver scores more than 10.

Loren - Denver. If I'm going to go out, might as well go out by picking my team. Sure, there's not a single logical reason to take Denver, but much of Denver's season has been illogical. I don't believe for an instant that Elway encouraged Fox to put Tebow in because he could win. The Broncos were destined for lottery greatness, but something strange happened along the way. It probably boils down to teams being unprepared for the style of offense the Broncos ran, but the result is a home playoff game. I wouldn't be a true homer unless I took by boyhood team in a situation seemingly against all odds. Go Broncos.


Atlanta @ NY Giants

Derek - NY Giants. I think Eli has played too well in clutch situations not to give him a home playoff game win.

Loren - Atlanta. If I have to take another road team, might as well be a team featuring Michael Turner facing the last ranked rush defense. Does Atlanta have the tools and skill players to take out the Giants? Yes. Is Matt Ryan a head case in the playoffs? Sunday's game will tell.


Cincinnati @ Houston

Derek - Houston. The Texans have issues with injuries but it'd be nice to see them win their first playoff game and it is a home game so...

Loren - Cincinnati. Being 8 down, I don't really have much choice here. I don't really think the Bengals will win this game, but they have a puncher's chance. Right? *sigh*


Detroit @ New Orleans

Derek - New Orleans. I can't wait to see a 50-45 game in the playoffs. I'm taking the Saints here, they've been on a roll, have the home field and have playoff experience. Detroit has Megatron, which is still pretty good.

Loren - Detroit. Well, at least this wouldn't be considered a huge upset. Detroit is completely capable of matching New Orleans point for point. Unfortunately for me, they'll have to do better than match. Hey, even if I lose this match up, it should be an incredibly entertaining game.

No comments: