Saturday, January 14, 2012

NFL Playoff week 2 picks

Well after a 3-1 week from me last week I locked up this years NFL 6-pack pick Championship between Loren and I. I'm up 10 with 7 games left. On to the picks.

New Orleans at San Francisco
Derek – San Francisco. I keeping going back and forth on this pick. Brees is obviously playing at the top of his game, but the 49ers have a good D. For me it comes back to the home field advantage not just the field conditions but the west coast travel for the Saints, least we forget last years game with
Seattle. Also don't underestimate how good a QB can be if his line gives him time and he's passing against one on one coverage. I think Smith will be able to play mistake free.
Loren –
New Orleans. Okay, so the picks don’t really matter anymore. I’m back to picking who I really think will win the games (note the exception below). This boils down to the Saint’s O being better than the 49er’s D. The Saints will be able to score and the Niners won’t be able to keep pace. San Francisco might make it interesting, but they just won’t be able to hang in there with Drew Brees all game.

Denver at New England
Derek –
New England. Repeat of the last game between these two. The Broncos can't hang with the Pats on the offensive side of the ball. You can't guard both TEs and Welker.
Loren –
Denver. Do I think the Broncos have a legitimate shot against New England? No. Did I think they had a legitimate shot against Pittsburgh? No. Maybe, just maybe, the Broncos D will be good enough to knock New England slightly off pace. Maybe the Broncos won’t kill themselves with turnovers like they did in their last game against the Pats. And maybe the same strategy (lure the defensive backs and linebackers up with run packages and send receivers out in unorthodox patterns) that was successful against Pittsburgh will work against a much leakier defense. Logic doesn’t much matter when your team is fighting for the right to play in the AFC championship game. Hooray for homerism!

Houston at Baltimore
Derek –
Baltimore. The Texans have done a great job juggling the season with all the injuries. But they're going to walking to a hailstorm.
Loren –
Baltimore. This could get ugly. I actually fear for TJ Yates’ life right now. Seriously, Baltimore is going to send so many blind side blitzes against this kid that the Texans may have to keep blocking TEs and FBs in at all times. Unless Foster goes all superman and gets miraculous blocking up front from the Texans’ O-line, Yates is going to have to pass his team back into the game. He may break the record for most consecutive one-step drops in a row by a QB.

NY Giants at Green Bay
Derek –
Green Bay. I wouldn't be surprised if the G-Men pull the upset here, just something about them this year. But I'm not going to pick against Rodgers with Gennings back in the lineup.
Loren –
Green Bay. I’m not betting against that offense. I’m not betting against Rogers. Would you?

No comments: