Tuesday, September 4, 2012

NFL picks week 1



We're back for another year of NFL 6 pack of picks. Personally I'd go with a 6 pack of Rogue Ales – Hazelnut Brown Nectar...anyway on to our picks.



Dallas at NY Giants

Loren - Giants. The Giants have had slow starts the last couple of seasons, so I make this pick with some trepidation. They are the defending champs, though, and they're playing at home. Dallas, as usual, seems poised for either a complete train wreck or a 13 win season. I hoping for train wreck, and I'm taking the Giants.
Derek – Giants. Early game but this will play a pivotal role in who gets to the playoffs. One of these teams will be in and one will be out. I’m taking the Giants, they just seem to be all business and don’t forget the home field.

Buffalo at NY Jets

Loren - Buffalo. Whatever the Jets trot out on offense to start the season, it won't be half as good as their defense. With all the drama and questions, it's nice to be able to pick a sold, workmanlike Buffalo team. These guys run the ball, throw when they have to, and bolstered their D in the off season. Also, they'll have at least one game with Fred Jackson healthy.
Derek – Buffalo. I would like to take the Jets here but their offense is so offensive, in a bad way, I can’t until I see them well you know score an actual touchdown. Man they look terrible.

San Francisco at Green Bay

Loren - San Francisco. I changed my pick on this, which is probably a bad sign. Like a test in high school, you should usually stick with your first answer. Since I've taken the 49ers, though, I should probably have some concrete reason, some stats to back it up, some insightful commentary. Yeah, I've got none of that. I will say this, has any "great" team ever won as many games by as few points as the Packers did in 2011? That defense didn't get any better, and San Francisco is more dangerous than their 2011 version.
Derek – Green Bay. I’ve never agreed and disagreed with what one person has wrote in one paragraph before. Loren’s right, there’s not stats to back up a 49ers pick here. Agreed. The Packers D will be better than last year for the simple fact that it can’t be worse. Also San Fran will not be as good as they were last year especially on D and special teams. They’re a good team and I’ll pick them to win plenty but not against the best team in the NFC who’s playing at home.

Pittsburgh at Denver

Loren - Denver. At least the Broncos get a home game to open the league's toughest schedule. I'm banking on some tired Steelers playing in thin air to help the Broncos here. I also like the outside rush to harass Rapelisburger who looks like he's walking on broken glass every time he has to scramble. If the Broncos don't commit turnovers, they should be victorious in this match up.
Derek – Denver. I’d like to pick the Steelers, but I’m trying to think of who they are and not who they used to be.

Cincinnati at Baltimore

Loren - Baltimore. Cincy was a nice surprise last year and they look built for continued success, save for one glaring hole. Their defense is solid against both the pass and run, they have a decent O-line and a success story at QB, and one of the most exciting receivers in the league. The putrid mess at running back, though, is the team's Achilles heal. Bernard Scott and BJGE aren't going to help them win games, especially against defenses as good as Baltimore's.
Derek – Baltimore. The Bengals will not be as good this year as last year. Sorry, Cinny fans. Baltimore will be as good as they were last year and should win the division. Rice will have a big game.

San Diego at Oakland

Loren - Oakland. Here's my surprise pick for week 1. I don't believe that Ryan Matthews is fully healthy. I don't believe in the Chargers' receiving corps, and I don't believe in Philipp Rivers period. Nobody wants to play with him, and he can't with the important games. Sure, he'll throw for 300 yards and 2 TDs, but he'll also make bad reads, get picked a couple times, and blame everything on his teammates. The Raiders poached Denver's defensive coordinator, who needed less than a season to turn a bottom of the table defense into middle of the pack, and installed him as head coach. We should see a serious improvement in Oakland's D this season, McFadden will be a monster, and they'll have just enough pieces to have a moderately surprising season, starting with a week one Monday night win.
Derek – Oakland. This could be a tossup game, but I believe in the Raiders a bit more than I have in the past. I also believe that the Charges will thud out of the gate as usual. We do remember what Rivers was like the last time he didn’t have Vincent Jackson for a year right?

No comments: