Monday, October 12, 2009

Fandom

My wife doesn't understand my love of sports. She has told me this on countless occasions. So I recently tried to explain it to her this way. I view my favorite teams as friends or distant family, and I hope they succeed. She then asked what happens if they succeed, I thought about it for a bit and realized that since I became a fan I’m not sure any of my teams have succeeded at least not on a national or world championship level.

  • University of Oregon Men’s basketball team: Two elite eight appearances.
  • University of Oregon Men’s football team: Finished second in 02.
  • Miami Dolphins: Lost in the AFC championship game a couple of times.
  • Portland Trail Blazers: Lost in the finals twice and the Western Conference Championship three times.
  • Los Angeles Dodgers: Boarder line.Won the 88 World Series. However the moment I became a fan was when I saw Gibson hit that home run to win game 1. It doesn't feel like it counts. Lost in the National league Championship series in 08.


  • How about you? How have your teams done since you've cheered them on?

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I have only this to say:
    GO DODGERS!!!! :)
    -Michele

    Loren said...

    Let's see...

    Broncos - 14 years of futility and Super Bowl embarassment...followed by two straight championships and Elway retiring on top. Now 5-0. Good times.

    Rockies - Uh, yeah, moving on.

    Nuggets - Yikes. Aside from beating the Sonics as an 8 seed, it was rough going as a kid. When I was a teen, the most memorable player was Mutombo. Those weren't good years.

    Blazers - relatively new to this fandom, but the trend is up. :)

    Avalanche - not so much of a hockey fan these days, but a couple of quick titles right out of the gate for the Avs. More good times.

    Never really rooted for college teams with much intensity, even though I love watching college sports.