Monday, April 21, 2008

NBA playoff thoughts (for the games that matter)

First, I'm not doing a rundown of all the games. Even if you threatened to gouge out my vocal chords with a rusty spoon you couldn't get me to comment on Orlando/Toronto. No, this will be a few ruminations on the games I, and therefore my imaginary readers, care about.

Phoenix/San Antonio (game 1) -

San Antonio is the only team in the league that I would never feel safe against no matter how large the lead. I'm pretty sure the Spurs defy the laws of conservation of energy. They're down by 8? Nope, look again. You could swear they haven't actually scored a bucket but now they're up by 4. They're creating mass and energy out of the void, people!


Phoenix, be afraid, be very afraid. You did a lot of things right in that game, and not much wrong, and still ended up with a heartbreaker. That kind of stuff just weighs on you after a while. The mountain is too high, the rock too heavy...all that.

Despite foul trouble the Suns had Oberto taking baseline jumpers; you couldn't write it any better than that.

Parker shooting 3 pointers? Pretty please with sugar on top?

Udoka shooting jumpers? I'll take another plate of that, thank you!

Timmah's going to be Timmah. You let him have his points, his boards, etc. But they had the Spurs playing into their game despite the foul trouble all game long!

Sheesh. Either this bodes well for San Antonio (i.e. wrap up another trophy) or the Spurs got really lucky. I'm hoping for the latter, and I'm hoping Phoenix comes out ready to play the same game. I also hope the refs come out ready to call a technical on Vaginobli every time he acts like someone assaulted him with a piece of re-bar.


New Orleans/Dallas (game 1) -

Ahaha.

Hahahaha.

AAHHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAA!

You mean Dallas choked a fat one? You must be joking.

Everyone who said the Hornets were too young to be competitive in the post-season owes me a nickel. Yes, you, I'm talking to you. Who knew that retirement would come this easy?


Boston/Atlanta (game 1) -

I really do think that any other team in the East would have trouble with Atlanta. They are so athletic, so quick, and so young they don't believe you when you tell them they can't win. Did you see the way they were beating Boston to those rebounds?

The Cs, obviously, are just too experienced to let the kids sneak up on them. So focused, so ready, so damn fierce...it doesn't really matter what Atlanta, or likely the rest of the league, tries to throw at them. They are scary good. And I think they probably haven't received the respect they deserve; there's a little tarnish from playing in the Leastern conference. You're a fool if you think they aren't the #1 seed, by a mile, in the Western conference.

Give it two more years, though, Atlanta. Keep the egos and the payroll under control and pray, if you manage those things, that injuries don't tear your team apart. If you can do that...

No comments: