Saturday, October 1, 2011

NFL Week 4 picks

Loren and I split our picks last week, he called the 49ers over the Bengals and I had the Cowboys of the Redskins. That leaves Loren two games ahead with a record of 11-7 while I'm at 9-9. On to the picks.

NY Jets at Baltimore

Loren - Baltimore. I just don't think the Jets offense has what it takes to go in to Baltimore and stay mistake free. It doesn't help that they are the second worst defense against the rush so far this year. Ray Rice is going to have a huge day.

Derek - Baltimore. This is a close one for me. But so far you have to look at the way both teams have played and realize that the Jets have not played well especially against the run and with the emergence of a second WR for the Ravens Revis can only cover one guy.


New England at Oakland

Loren - New England. This one is a lot tougher to call than at first glance. The Pats secondary has been ceding territory like Napoleon, giving up big chunks of land for cheap. Fortunately for them, their run D has been better than average which gives them a chance at containing McFadden. If the Raiders had any kind of passing attack, I'd be taking them in this match up.

Derek - New England. This should be a high scoring game but the Pats have too much fire power in the passing game to lose. The Raiders could win if the score is low but I don't see it happening. I hate picking a team traveling across country but I've got to in this case.

Pittsburgh at Houston

Loren - Houston. The Steelers once vaunted run defense has allowed nearly 100 yards per game. Their only game this year against a team that can stretch the field with a legitimate passing attack, Baltimore, they got slaughtered. Schaub and Co. will put the Steelers on their heels and should hold on in a relatively high scoring game.

Derek - Houston. I have a feeling the Steelers will pick it up soon but I'm not sure this is the game to do it. Their O line is in shambles and they will have to score plenty to keep up with the Texans.

Detroit at Dallas

Loren - Detroit. Lions are Super Bowl bound!!! Okay, just kidding. but with all the media adoration you'd think this team was looking to 3-peat, not simply 3-0 to start the season. The Lions are 39-124 since 2001, and have won exactly one post-season game since 1958, so I guess I can forgive folks for being giddy about their start. Well, expectations are only going to get higher after embarrass Dallas in week 4.

Derek - Detroit. The Lions are one of the hottest teams in the league and Megatron is having a huge year, 2 TD's a game is not a surprise. Dallas will have a hard time stopping the Lions high scoring offense and won't be able to match it with a banged up QB who couldn't manage a TD in the last game.

Carolina at Chicago

Loren - Chicago. Much as I'd love to watch the expression on the faces of Bears fans should the Panthers march into town and notch a win, I don't see it happening. Though the Bears have been mediocre to awful on defense, and even worse on offense (53 rushing ypg!), they should have enough to take care of the inconsistent and mistake prone Panthers.

Derek - Chicago. Lots of passing yards in this one since Mike Martz won't give the ball to Forte, but the Bears D should be good enough to contain Newton and win fairly easily.

Tennessee at Cleveland

Loren - Tennessee. I really wanted to take Cleveland here. Really. Even though their run defense has been atrocious, the Titans haven't been able to get CJ on track and may not make the Browns pay on the ground. But the Titans' defense is too good, second against the pass and 8th against the run with a quality win over Baltimore. Tennessee will be 3-1 and, if our predictions hold true, in an interesting fight with Houston for control of the NFC South.

Derek - Cleveland. I'm going out on a limb here, I'm picking the home team, I've watched both of these teams play once and I don't think either is very good. The Titans would seem to be the safe pick but I have Johnson isn't going to run will on the Browns and Hasselbeck will come back down to earth. The Browns held a bad offense down last week and will do it again.

2 comments:

Barry Beitel said...

Here are my picks for this week. I fell to 9-7 last week with some of the upsets, but I'm 36-12 on the season so far.

Saints @ Jags: This shouldn't be close. Saints should win easily.
Titans @ Browns: Hasselbeck & Co should handle the punchless Browns on the road.
Steelers @ Texans: I'm going with the Texans at home in a shootout.
Vikings @ Chiefs: Both teams played better in losses last week, but I'm taking the Chiefs at home.
Panthers @ Bears: DA BEARS! But this one will stay close.
Lions @ Cowboys: Detroit wins, Ryan eats crow, as secondary is torched by Calvin Johnson.
Bills @ Bengals: Bills go to 4-0!
Redskins @ Rams: Washington should beat up on the already bruised Rams.
49'ers @ Eagles: Philly wins with or without Vick.
Giants @ Cardinals: Giants should win easily.
Falcons @ Seahawks: Atlanta in a laugher.
Patriots @ Raiders: Brady gets back into the Win column in a closer game than some might expect.
Dolphins @ Chargers: Filet of fish, anyone? Chargers will win.
Broncos @ Packers: The Pack go to 4-0.
Jets @ Ravens: After crashing against Oakland, what are the Jets expecting to do against a real defense? Ravens win in an ugly game.
Colts @ Buccaneers: Tampa should handle the Colts.

Derek said...

I can't believe I changed my mind about the Titans v Browns game, damn.