Friday, October 14, 2011

NFL Week 6 picks

Looks like I caught up a bit to Loren last week going 4-2 while he went down 2-4. I'm down one game overall now.

San Francisco @ Detroit


Loren – Detroit. While San Francisco can be proud of their 4-1 record, it’s a little deceiving. They have yet to play a team with the aerial firepower of the Lions, yet their D is ranked 23rd against passing offenses. Detroit seems to be putting all the pieces together with Best looking spry, Megatron unstoppable, and the defense refusing to give up big plays.

Derek - Detroit. This is a tough one for me. I think the Lions have been living on the edge for awhile and are due for a loss. But the 49ers traveling more than 2/3s the way across the country. Plus I can't think Alex Smith will have a big day versus Suh and company.

Philadelphia @ Washington

Loren – Washington. Washington’s D is getting a lot of credit, but they haven’t exactly faced the toughest competition. I made this pick before DeAngelo Hall hurt his knee in practice, but I’ll stick with the Redskins here. The Eagle’s line is banged up, Vick is banged up, there are questions and doubts throughout the team. Shanahan’s infuriating (at least to fantasy owners) running-back-by-committee approach is working; whoever has the freshest legs gets the most carries. Aside from all that, I’ve learned not to pick against Shanahan coming off a bye week.

Derek - Philadelphia. The Eagle is a strong bird a proud bird and a predator. These Eagles however are the most dangerous animal there is, an animal backed in to a corner. They know they have to win. Expect many attempts at big plays and some are going to payoff. The skins won't be able to keep up.

Carolina @ Atlanta

Loren – Atlanta. Close call for me. Everyone has made a big deal about the Falcons’ poor numbers through the air, but their poor numbers against opposing passers are even scarier. The Panthers will come out throwing, and Atlanta will have to score in bunches to keep up.

Derek - Carolina. Close one for me too. I originally landed on the Falcons but mainly because they were playing the Panthers. I mean the Panthers suck right? But then I started to think about all the points the Falcons have given up threw the air and then I thought Steve Smith sure is fast, I wonder how fast he can be in a dome. Then I thought hey the Cam Newton guy sure can throw the ball deep. I'm thinking Smith reels in 3 TD catches and the Panthers win a high scoring game.

Buffalo @ NY Giants

Loren – NY Giants. I got killed last week picking road teams and I’m not making the same mistake this week. Yes, it’s a short trip, but it’s worlds apart. The Giants are stinging from an unexpected loss at Seattle and will be on a mission. Buffalo’s defensive numbers are a horror show and I have a feeling they’re going to turn Eli loose. That could be bad or good, but I think it’s worth a win this week.

Derek - Buffalo. Raise your hand if you trust the Giants? I said raise...oh you heard me, I was confused since no one raised their hand. The Giants DB's are banged up and have been that way for awhile now, I expect the Bills to get going through the air and then finish the G Men off on the ground with Jackson.

Houston @ Baltimore

Loren – Baltimore. Baltimore’s D > Houston’s O. That about sums up this pick. Ray Rice will have plenty of room to run and Flacco just needs to manage the game effectively.

Derek - Baltimore. Houston is not looking good on D and Johnson is out and...well they just don't look good. While Baltimore looks like they could be the team to contend with. Ravens big.

Minnesota @ Chicago

Loren – Minnesota. Jahvid Best carved up the Bears’ D like a Thanksgiving turkey. If the Beast could do that, what kind of day will AP have? Chicago’s once vaunted defense currently is 27th and 28th in total passing and rushing yards, respectively. Cutler probably has PTSD after scrambling for his life on Monday and it’s a short week for them. Minnesota is going to throw the kitchen sink at him. This could get ugly.

Derek - Chicago. This should be a ground and pound game. Sue AP could make short work of the bears but who thinks Forte can't do the same against the Viks. And I'll take Cutler over McNabb any day.

No comments: