Friday, October 21, 2011

NFL Week 7 picks

Try as we might to pick games differently last week we both went 3-3 keeping me one off the pace. Loren is sitting at 22-14 and I'm at 21-15. On to the picks!

Houston @ Tennessee
Loren – Tennessee. Tennessee is coming off a bye week while Houston is coming off a bruising loss against the Ravens. The bye week gives CJ more time to get back in game shape. Meanwhile, Houston’s defense is looking leakier and leakier. Tennessee convincingly at home.
Derek - Houston. I say they have too many injuries for me to pick them right now. The Titans could continue their surprising passing game against a bad pass defense.

Denver @ Miami
Loren – Denver. Really, let’s flip a coin here. I almost picked the Dolphins after Brandon Lloyd was traded from Denver to St. Louis for a pack of pudding pops and a scratch and sniff book. But I figure Tebow is good for three rushing touchdowns against two INTs, while Matt Moore is good for five INTs against 7 bewildered sideline looks. Plus, Brandon Marshall will probably kill a few people on the sidelines because he’s not the center of attention this week.
Derek - Miami. Not that I'm rooting for my team to do well. I mean a loss hear would put us one step closer to getting Luck in the draft, but that doesn't mean I won't be happy if the Dolphins win a home game for the first time in 17 years and beat Tebow in the process.

San Diego @ NY Jets
Loren – San Diego. Yes, Revis is a monster, but Rivers has been around the block a couple of times and won’t be throwing jump balls his way. I like SD’s defense against the Jets’ anemic offense and I like SD’s ground game against the Jets (who are currently giving up almost 135 YPG).
Derek - San Diego. Again I don't like taking teams traveling across the country but the Charges did it once already so lets say their somewhat prepared for it. I just don't think the Jets are that good, the in-fighting will be much worse after this loss and this is the beginning of the Jets missing the playoffs.

Chicago @ Tampa Bay
Loren – Tampa Bay. Which Bucs team shows up, the one shellacked by the 49ers or the one that pushed the Saints around early and controlled enough of the game to hang on? Everyone now knows the secret to beating the Bears is to throw the kitchen sink at Cutler. The Bucs will do that, Freeman will continue to get his groove back, and the Bucs quietly improve to 5-2.
Derek - Chicago. The Bears D is getting their game back and the Bucs are without Blount for the second week in a row, perhaps this will help Freeman's numbers but I see the Bears scoring on D and with Hester they might score on special teams. Cutler and his O line looked 10 times better last week, I think it holds up and Forte scores the winning TD on a goal line leap.

Seattle @ Cleveland
Loren – Cleveland. It’s the first full start of the season for Charlie Whitehurst and Cleveland isn’t going to make it a happy one. The Browns’ defensive front is licking their chops right now, anticipating a shot to be in the top 10 in total sacks by the end of the day. Seattle’s best shot is to run it all day, and they just might do that. It’s still going to be tough to pick up a win in the Dog Pound.
Derek - Cleveland. I think the NY Giants game was a fluke for the Seahawks and again they have to travel the majority of the way across the country. I'll take a good Browns D over a bad Seahawks O.

Atlanta @ Detroit
Loren – Detroit. It’s strength against weakness on both sides of the ball. Detroit’s superhuman aerial attack versus Atlanta’s puke inducing pass defense, and Atlanta’s locomotive ground game against Detroit’s wet paper towel run defense. It comes down to Detroit scoring faster and more frequently than the Falcons.
Derek - Atlanta. I think the Falcons will be able to control the clock and thus limit the number of jump balls Stafford can throw to Megatron. Couple that with no running game for Detroit unless Morris comes out like it's the Fiesta Bowl and you can see the Dirty Birds coming out with a win.

2 comments:

Barry Beitel said...

Ok, I missed posting last week, which is a shame, since I was 12-1. This week, I'm putting it on cyber-paper.

Denver @ Miami: The Tim Tebow era has started in Denver. The Dolphins are looking forward to the Luck era next year. Denver wins, but it's going to be close.

Houston @ Tennessee: Three weeks ago, the Texans were my sleeper pick for the Superbowl. Injuries have really been a factor, but Hasselbeck has the Titans playing inspired ball. I like the Titans at home.

Chicago @ Tampa Bay: Tampa's defense is the big key here. They will stop Forte and the pass-rush will feast on Cutler Cutlets. Bucs to win.

Atlanta @ Detroit: This will be a duel with about 65 points scored. I look for Detroit to bounce back after last week's loss to the Niners.

Seattle @ Cleveland: Take heart, Seahawk fans! "Clipboard Jesus" hath come to be our Sunday savior! Whitehurst has better arm strength, quicker release and better accuracy than Turnoverus Jackson. Seattle will win again on the road. Yes, I said it! Seattle will win!

San Diego @ New York Jets: Too much offense and not enough D for Gang Green to handle the Bolts. The wheels are coming off the Jets.

Washington @ Carolina: I look for a high-scoring game here, but Cam Newton is good for 4 TD's in this game. I look for the Panthers to pull off a mild upset.

Kansas City @ Oakland: What a difference a year makes in the Bay Area! Oakland is looking more and more like a Wildcard team, the Chiefs don't. Raiders to win big.

Pittsburgh @ Arizona: Arizona has no offense to speak of, but they always play Pittsburgh tough. Steelers win, but it's probably going to be ugly.

St. Louis @ Dallas: This is the game Romo and the Cowboys have needed for a while. Should be an easy win for Dallas.

Green Bay @ Minnesota: Green Bay will stuff A.P. and force the Rookie to beat them. After about halfway through the 2nd Quarter, Ponder will wish the NFL had a mercy rule. Green Bay in a laugher.

Indianapolis @ New Orleans: The Saints kept me from being 13-0 last week, dag nabbit! I seriously doubt they disappoint me a second time. Saints to win big.

Baltimore @ Jacksonville: The Ravens are just too good on both sides of the ball for the Jaguars. This should be an easy Ravens victory.

Oh...and I don't know why, but I think the Huskies are going to give the Stanford Cardinal a run for their money this week. I'm not sure they'll pull off the upset, but the Dawgs will beat the spread.

Barry Beitel said...

Wow! I sucked it up this week. Even the Huskies got buried. Note to self: Continue to pick the Seahawks to lose every week. The game plan stunk, I hate Carroll's offense and the defense was brilliant again.