Wednesday, September 4, 2013

NFL Week 1 picks

Hmm, football, can you smell it? Yeah I know you can. That also means it's time for our annual 6 pack of picks. Last year I beat Loren 76-61 in correct picks. On to the picks!

Baltimore at Denver
Derek - Denver. I was 50/50 on this pick but once Loren picked the Ravens I had to jump on the Broncos, because if there's one thing better than beating Loren it's beating Loren with his favorite team. Plus I don't think Baltimore will be too good this year, their D will slide back and I don't think the offense will be that good with out a great position receiver like Bolden.
Loren – Baltimore. I can’t tell you how much it hurt me to type that but the desire to win our competition trumps my homerism. Denver’s D just isn’t up to the task. Yet. They’re missing some key pieces, are a little banged up, and they won’t have Von Miller for the first six games. It might be close, and Denver’s got a puncher’s chance, but Baltimore is a more well-rounded team at this point.

Cincinnati at Chicago
Derek - Chicago. Cincinnati should be a good team again this year, heck they might win their division. But I'm going to go with Da Bears here. They start off well, they're at home and Cutler hasn't had time to screw the proverbial pooch.
Loren – Cincinnati. The Bengals are one team that played well last year and should be even better this year. Combine a nasty defense with an efficient and improving offense and that spells trouble for Chicago. Also, Cutler. Ick.

Atlanta at New Orleans
Derek - New Orleans. Here comes the Saints redemption tour. They'll start off with a bang and don't think the fans in the Superdome will be any less enthusiastic then when they won the Superbowl a few years back. Brees will connect with Graham on two TDs.
Loren – New Orleans. When did people forget that the Saints are a good team? All I’ve heard about them this off-season is how old Brees is and how they can’t keep up with their division. This is a team you can’t sleep on and I think they’re fired up to show everyone they’ve still got it. Yeah, the D is still suspect, but whether you win 42-35 or 42-0 you’re still winning.

Minnesota at Detroit
Derek - Detroit. I think the Lions have just enough to hold off the Vikings. Ponders not great, plus I'm not sure who's he's throwing too these days.
Loren – Detroit. Not confident here. I wouldn’t be surprised if AP torched Detroit for 200 on the ground. However, Detroit still has a killer offense (admittedly, it hasn’t really gelled in the pre-season) and home field advantage. Meanwhile, Ponder. Ick.

Green Bay at San Francisco
Derek - San Francisco. You know my rule about teams traveling across country. Add that to my other, lesser know rule about better teams usually winning and this should equal a nice 49er win.
Loren – San Francisco. Doesn’t it feel like the 49ers have got under the skin of the Packers players? I picture Rodgers sitting in a dimly lit room in his mansion, clippings of Kaepernick and Gore thumbtacked to the wall, muttering over and over to himself, “Forty five to thirty one…forty five to thirty one…” Well, if anything, San Francisco should be even better this year. Green Bay get to see how high the mountain is after their first game.

NY Giants at Dallas
Derek - Dallas. What team starts seasons well? What team starts seasons poorly? Yeah Even with Romo and the underachievers I'll take the home team by a FG.
Loren – NY Giants. I’m torn between two of my pick ‘em rules. One rule is don’t bet on the Giants early in the season. The other says don’t bet against Eli Manning playing the Cowboys. Ah, what the heck, it’s never too early for a little Dallas hating.

No comments: