Sunday, December 28, 2008

NFL Picks - Week 17

Another fairly horrible week by both of us, with Derek managing three correct and I only get two. My picks have a habit of blowing games late. At least that's what I tell myself to make it all right...

Make sure you check out Derek's pick for Miami/NYJ. I think he's channeling the ghost of Bill Swersky's Super Fans.

Derek

New York Giants at Minnesota
New York Giants. Minnesota is playing for a playoffs spot NY has already clinched the NFC’s #1. So you would think the Minni would man up and get the job done but I have a feeling the Giants learned from last year momentum counts big time in the playoffs. 24-13

Tennessee at Indianapolis
Indianapolis. No I’ll take the opposite approach from the NY/Minni game. Indianapolis is the home team but both teams have clinched and can’t do anything about their playoff position win or lose. I think Indy needs to win this to put the AFC on notice come playoff time. 31-24

Miami at New York Jets
Miami. Are you kidding me how would I not take the Dolphins here? Sure they are playing in a cold weather game against a team they have lost 5 straight too. But that does not matter this team went 1-15 last year and is a win away from a division championship and the hosting a playoff game. Plus they could ruin the NY Bretts season and knock Pats out of the playoffs. 112-3

Carolina at New Orleans
Carolina. The Saints are just to up and down for me, some people say they will throw the ball just to get Brees the record, but he needs 402 yards, that’s tough to do when the defense knows what you are trying to do. Plus the Panthers can and will run the ball keeping the Saints O off the field. Oh yeah the Panthers are playing for momentum too. 28-17

Denver at San Diego
San Diego. The first reason I’ll take the Chargers is to give Loren a chance here to pick up a game on me. The other reason I’ll take them is they are the home team and have been playing better than the inconstant Broncos. 21-13

Bonus game (too many good games this week)
Dallas at Philadelphia
Philadelphia. Really tough game. I think the Eagles D is good enough to slow down the Cowboys O. Plus the friendly fans of Philly will be out in full force. 17-14


Loren

Giants @ Minny
Giants. New York should be able to limit Peterson, control the ball, and force turnovers. That sounds like a recipe for a win.

Titans @ Indy
Titans. This is a strange game to try to predict. Both teams will likely rest their starters for much of the game so we're basically picking on depth. I happen to think that the Titans are deeper than the Colts.

Miami @ Jets
Jets. Again, I'm picking here more because I need to make up ground and not because I actually think the Jets can, you know, win. But, hey, it could happen...

Carolina @ New Orleans
Carolina. See Derek's post above. Ditto.

Denver @ San Diego
Denver. Gotta be the homer here and go with the hometown team, even though I have no idea how they will pull this out. The only hope I have is that San Diego will realize the name of their city is German for whale's vagina and refuse to take the field due to embarrassment.

Dallas @ Philly
Dallas. Interesting pick here. I do think Philly has more momentum than Dallas (duh). But Dallas has a better ability to make up for mistakes. Besides, Philly used up all their karma with a World Series win, it's time to get back to reality.

1 comment:

Derek said...

So 66% correct is no good? Oh well I picked up even more games this week by my count I'm up 12 now and I think there are only 11 playoff games. I WIN!