Saturday, January 3, 2009

NFL Playoffs round one

Well the Regular season is over, Loren and I talked about extending the pick competition into the playoffs until we did some math. I’m up by 12 picks and there are only 11 playoff games. So Loren will be donning the Dan Marino Jersey on our next episode. That being said we thought we would pick the playoff games too for fun you know.

Derek

Atlanta @ Arizona
Atlanta. This should be the easiest pick of the first round games. The only problem here is that Atlanta has a rookie QB and is 4-4 on the road, while Arizona is 6-2 at home with a very experience QB. That being said I think that Atlanta will be able to run the ball enough to keep the Cards offense off the field. 24-20

Indianapolis @ San Diego
Indianapolis. I think I’ll take a team that has won 9 in a row and the MVP versus a team that has won 4 in a row and has a hurt LDT. I Think the AFC will come down to Pitt and Indy, so I have to take Indy here. Turner will go down and then Cower will have some tough choices. 31-17

Baltimore @ Miami
Miami. Sure Baltimore’s last playoff win was 20-3 at Miami, sure Baltimore beat Miami 27-13 this season in Miami sure Baltimore’s Offensive coordinator was Miami’s head coach last year and has a huge grudge since being fired after one year (dude you only won a game). That being said I’m a Dolphin fan so I’m taking them in every game I can. Hey they are playing a rookie QB. 24-10

Philadelphia @ Minnesota
Philadelphia. Two of the better running backs face off in this one, so I’ll call that a wash. Philly has a better QB and better D while Minny has the home field. I think Tavaris Jackson will not be able to control the game the way the Vikings need and will end up costing them the game on a Philly defensive TD. 24-20

Loren

Atlanta at Arizona
Atlanta. This one looks so obvious on the surface that you just can't believe it could be that simple. The Falcons have a good defense, a big time RB, and a legitimate (though rookie) QB. The Cards have an inconsistent defense, no running attack to speak of, and a legitimate QB. Hmmm....I'm not saying that Warner and their passing attack can't beat the Falcons. I'm saying that Warner and their passing attack won't beat them.

Indy at San Diego.
Indy. Eesh, no confidence in this pick at all. Choose a Sunday (or Saturday in this case) and the Chargers could beat the Steelers, and could just as easily lose to the Raiders. Indy has a habit of letting teams stay in games and, of course, San Diego likes to turn it on in the fourth quarter. All of this makes me really uneasy, but I can't make myself pick against Manning right now.

Baltimore at Miami
Baltimore. Here's another one that's tough to call. Anyone else get the feeling that Sparano has been saving something really wacky for the playoffs, or that given the circumstances he might send the punting team out on first down and run an option with the backup QB? Unfortunately for them, I don't think any amount of trickery will succeed against the Ravens' D. So here I am again, picking the team with the Rookie QB. Someone stop me, please.

Philly @ Minny
Philly. I can't believe I'm doing this. One of my cardinals rules is that you never, under any circumstances, pick the Eagles in the playoffs. However, if you set up an equation that has Philly's D, McNabb, and Westbrook on one side and has Minny's D, Tarvaris Jackson, and Peterson on the other...which side comes out better. Well, since Jackson actually drags his side of the equation down, I'm going with Philly. You should too, so that I don't feel bad about myself when Minny runs 'em into the ground.

No comments: